MANILA, Philippines – Signal No. 5, the highest tropical cyclone wind signal, was raised due to Super Typhoon Noru (Karding) late Sunday morning, September 25th.
This development came as Noru intensified further while heading for the Quezon-Aurora area.
The super typhoon was already 175 kilometers east of Infanta, Quezon, said the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (P.A.G.A.S.A.) in a briefing past 11 a.m. on Sunday. It continues to move west at 20 kilometers per hour (km/h).
At that pace, the Typhoon is likely to make landfall in the northern part of Quezon or the southern part of Aurora on Sunday evening. But P.A.G.A.S.A. is not ruling out the possibility of the super typhoon making landfall in Quezon’s Polillo Islands in the afternoon.
As of late Sunday morning, the super typhoon’s maximum sustained winds had increased from 185 km/h to 195 km/h, while its gustiness went up to 240 km/h from the previous 230 km/h.
P.A.G.A.S.A. said the super typhoon may reach a peak intensity of up to 205 km/h.
Here are the areas under tropical cyclone wind signals as of 12 p.m. on Sunday:
Signal No. 5
Typhoon-force winds (185 km/h or higher), extreme threat to life and property
- Polillo Islands
- extreme northern part of Quezon (northern and central parts of General Nakar, and northeastern part of Infanta)
Signal No. 4
Typhoon-force winds (118 to 184 km/h), significant to severe threat to life and property
- Calaguas Islands
- southern part of Aurora (San Luis, Dingalan, Baler, Maria Aurora)
- northern part of Quezon (rest of General Nakar, rest of Infanta, Real)
- southeastern part of Nueva Ecija (Gabaldon, General Tinio, Gapan City, Peñaranda)
- eastern and central parts of Bulacan (Doña Remedios Trinidad, Norzagaray, San Miguel, San Ildefonso, San Rafael, Angat, San Jose del Monte City)
- northeastern part of Rizal (Rodriguez, Antipolo City, Tanay, San Mateo, Baras)
- extreme northern part of Laguna (Famy, Siniloan, Santa Maria, Pangil)
Signal No. 3
Storm-force winds (89 to 117 km/h), moderate to significant threat to life and property
- central part of Aurora (Dipaculao)
- southeastern part of Nueva Vizcaya (Alfonso Castañeda, Dupax del Sur, Dupax del Norte)
- rest of Nueva Ecija
- rest of Bulacan
- Metro Manila
- rest of Rizal
- northern and central parts of Laguna (Mabitac, Pakil, Paete, Kalayaan, Lumban, Cavinti, Pagsanjan, Luisiana, Majayjay, Magdalena, Santa Cruz, Pila, Liliw, Nagcarlan, Victoria, Rizal, San Pedro City, Biñan City, Santa Rosa City, Cabuyao City, Calamba City, Los Baños, Bay, Calauan)
- northeastern part of Cavite (Bacoor City, Imus City, Kawit, Dasmariñas City, Carmona, General Mariano Alvarez, General Trias City, Rosario, Silang)
- rest of northern part of Quezon (Mauban)
- northern part of Camarines Norte (Vinzons, Paracale, Jose Panganiban, Capalonga)
Signal No. 2
Gale-force winds (62 to 88 km/h), minor to moderate threat to life and property
- southern part of Isabela (Dinapigue, San Guillermo, Echague, San Agustin, Jones)
- rest of Nueva Vizcaya
- La Union
- rest of Aurora
- rest of Cavite
- rest of Laguna
- central part of Quezon (Calauag, Perez, Alabat, Quezon, Tagkawayan, Guinayangan, Sampaloc, Lucban, Tayabas City, Lucena City, Pagbilao, Padre Burgos, Atimonan, Agdangan, Unisan, Plaridel, Gumaca, Lopez, Pitogo, Dolores, Candelaria, Sariaya, Tiaong, San Antonio, Macalelon, General Luna, Catanauan, Buenavista)
- rest of Camarines Norte
- northern part of Camarines Sur (Del Gallego, Ragay, Lupi, Sipocot, Libmanan, Pamplona, Pasacao, San Fernando, Pili, Minalabac, Ocampo, Tigaon, Cabusao, Magarao, Gainza, Canaman, Camaligan, Milaor, Naga City, Bombon, Calabanga, Tinambac, Siruma, Goa, Lagonoy, San Jose, Garchitorena, Presentacion, Caramoan, Sagñay)
Signal No. 1
Strong winds (39 to 61 km/h), minimal to minor threat to life and property
- southern part of Cagayan (Tuao, Solana, Enrile, Tuguegarao City, Iguig, Peñablanca)
- rest of Isabela
- southern part of Apayao (Conner)
- Mountain Province
- southern part of Ilocos Norte (Nueva Era, Badoc, Pinili, Banna, Batac City, Currimao, Paoay, Marcos)
- Ilocos Sur
- rest of Quezon
- northern part of Occidental Mindoro (Abra de Ilog, Paluan, Mamburao, Santa Cruz) including Lubang Islands
- northern part of Oriental Mindoro (Puerto Galera, San Teodoro, Baco, Calapan City, Naujan, Victoria, Pola, Socorro, Pinamalayan)
- rest of Camarines Sur
- Burias Island
- Ticao Island
P.A.G.A.S.A. also updated its rainfall forecast as of 12 p.m. on Sunday. Floods and landslides are expected in areas affected by the super typhoon.