Lance Corporal Joseph Scott Pemberton, the U.S. Marine who killed a transgender woman in Olongapo City in the Philippines was successfully deported from the Philippines on Sunday morning, after being convicted of homicide, the Bureau of Immigration said.

Bureau of Immigration spokesperson Dana Sandoval told Dobol B sa News TV in an interview that Mr. Pemberton took off from Ninoy Aquino International Airport's (N.A.I.A.) Terminal 3 at exactly 9:14 a.m.

Ms. Sandoval said the U.S. Marine will return to the United States, but she refused to divulge the specific state due to security reasons.

Bureau of Immigrations Commissioner Jaime Morente said Mr. Pemberton underwent regular processing procedures and was required to secure clearances from the appropriate offices. The marine was also asked to present a travel document and outbound travel arrangements before being deported.


"Upon completion of the required documents, we immediately implemented the deportation. He was escorted by B.I. agents to ensure that he had boarded his aircraft," Mr. Morente said in a statement.

Department of National Defense spokesperson Arsenio Andolong confirmed Mr. Pemberton's departure from Camp Aguinaldo, where he was detained. The marine left in a convoy of a few vehicles that was spotted entering the tarmac of N.A.I.A.

Despite widespread criticisms, the U.S. Embassy insisted that Mr. Pemberton fulfilled his jail sentence.

"All legal proceedings in the case took place under Philippine jurisdiction and law. Lance Cpl. Pemberton fulfilled his sentence as ordered by Philippine courts and he departed the Philippines on September 13," the embassy said in a statement.

Meanwhile, Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque remains speechless after Mr. Pemberton was released by virtue of the absolute pardon given to him by President Rodrigo Duterte just over five years into his service of a six-to-10-year prison sentence that brought widespread criticism from gay rights groups and other officials.